Once I started, the piece felted quickly...My hands took a day to recover as I hand rubbed mostly. I did this for a couple of reasons. The first, and primary, reason was to limit the grey migration into my prefelt causing the teal to mute. The second was due to the thick prefelt and the resists to limit shifting and promote the layers felting together, although this could be done by rolling carefully and slowly. The prefelt was thick and I knew I would have greater shrinkage on the side of the piece with less fibre (the grey finn) so during fulling and the final steam, I did some strategic stretching to even things out a bit.
I received a wonderful sample of 100% pelsull in the mail the other day from a friend in a wonderful charcoal colour. Yesterday I laid out a 3oz. sample and made notes as I worked to add this to my sample book. It felted lightning fast. I might even say faster than anything I have felted, other than my cats hair. It also made a very dense, sturdy felt that would be wonderful for sculptural work, rugs and wall pieces.
Well, today is New Year's Day and I will be in and out of the studio today maybe cleaning up a bit and giving myself some head space to decide what to work on next while I wait for a fibre shipment for 3 pieces I have planned/sketched. Happy new year to you all. I have a busy year ahead with exhibits and teaching and hopefully an expanded studio space!
Visit my site www.andrea-graham.com