Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Prophecy"

A few years ago, I created the below piece 'Prophecy', which appeared in a few shows: Ontario Craft '07, Kingston juried arts salon, and Women's Work at the Sandra Whitton Gallery (where it sold) Since that time, I have considered expanding on the piece and creating a series of dresses, each with it's own label....This installation will take place at the Union Gallery at Queen's University in July in the Project Room. You can follow the progress below. I am currently fulling the first 6 and will set them aside until all 13 are ready to steam, shape and hang...




Below are 6 of the 13 dresses laid out, but not yet felted...

Layout in progress (very fiddly-making me crazy and will glad to be past that point on the next 7)

It is interesting to challenge myself to make them very alike. Even as I felt and full, they each take a turn so I am doing each the same. This being said, I found myself reflecting on the concept of the piece as I worked on each one wondering if the one in my hands would be "smart girl" or "stupid girl". I'll update you as I move along and once it is in the gallery in less than 2 weeks.




Visit my site www.andrea-graham.com

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

A wonderful idea. I wish you success with this series.

Kaye-Lee said...

I love this...

The idea ties into a big project in my life at the moment. I will surely check out your show coming up so soon - wow! Busy busy busy....

I have your piece here that I ought to get to you....it's wrapped up safely, but we are embarking on reno's now, so when you are making a trip to town, maybe I can get this beauty to you. I wish it could have been hanging in the stairway, to enjoy with each ascend, while he's with us...but my cats would spend every waking moment, scheming. So your tree has been in hiding, and that's Just not right!

Barbara said...

Hi Andrea,
What an amazing project ... I have been incorporating wool into my paint and fibre work but just starting to learn to wet felt. I am very interested in following you along and amazed at the size of the project.
All the best,
Barbara

Patricia vA said...

I love the concept Andrea! I think I remember seeing your first ones in Kingston three years ago, when I had not yet put your work into any kind of context and had not yet met you. It's wonderful that you can keep exploring this theme over longer stretches of time. I am fascinated by your process and your fearlessness with deadlines! One day I hope to be as brave. I am so looking forward to seeing the results! Thanks for sharing again.

time to relax

time to relax
Liberatio Captivus